This portable, savory breakfast is full of possibility — and it puts your muffin tins to good use. Try this bell pepper, broccoli and mushroom recipe from Eating Bird Food or customize yours with different veggies. At fewer than 100 calories per serving, these versatile egg bites are your new best friend.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) egg whites (or another 6 eggs)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon (15 ml) coconut oil
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup (240 ml) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) feta
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 375°F and spray twelve-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with silicone baking cups.
Place eggs and egg whites into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 teaspoon oil. Add in chopped veggies (bell pepper, onion, broccoli and mushrooms) and cook for about 5–6 minutes, until they’re a little soft and the onions are fragrant.
Add sauteed veggies into the bowl with the whisked eggs. Add in feta and parsley and mix well.
Pour egg mixture into muffin cups evenly.
Bake for 17–20 minutes, or until the egg cups are no longer jiggly and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cups to cool and enjoy immediately.
Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 1 egg bite
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 96; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 117mg; Sodium: 343mg; Carbohydrate: 4g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 7g