Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 20 minutes
This recipe is great for vegans because it provides 25% of your daily iron. The pale green inner leaves of romaine lettuce — available in the produce section in bags labeled “hearts of romaine” — stand up well to a brief sear on the grill. The lettuce wilts slightly and becomes deliciously smoky. Sprinkle with grilled focaccia croutons and the creamy, nut-based vegan dressing, and you’ve got a satisfying fork-and-knife salad.
Grilled Caesar Salad With Creamy Cashew Dressing
For the dressing:
- 6 tablespoons (96g) cashew butter or tahini
- 1/4 cup (59ml) hot water
- 1/4 cup (59ml) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white miso
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 small garlic clove, finely chopped and smashed with side of chef’s knife
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad:
- 2 large (10-ounce/283g) hearts of romaine, halved lengthwise
- 2 thick slices red onion (cut into rounds so they are easier to flip on the grill)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (6-ounce/170g) piece focaccia
Preheat a grill to medium high. While the grill is heating up, whisk the dressing ingredients and set aside, adding more water if needed to make the mixture pourable.
Brush the romaine hearts and onion slices with olive oil. Place the onion on the grill, cover and cook until slightly charred on one side, 3 minutes. Carefully flip with tongs and grill on second side until just tender, about 4 more minutes, set aside. Place the romaine hearts, cut side down, and the focaccia on the grill and cook uncovered until the lettuce is slightly wilted and charred on one side, 2–3 minutes and the focaccia is crisped, about 4 minutes.
Transfer romaine hearts to a large serving platter or dinner plates. Cut the focaccia and onions into bite-size pieces and scatter over the romaine. Drizzle liberally with the dressing, season with pepper and serve warm.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/2 romaine heart, 3 tablespoons dressing, 2 tablespoons croutons, 1 1/2 tablespoons onions
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 285; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 11g; Cholesterol: 0g; Sodium: 258mg; Carbohydrate: 24g; Fiber: 8g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 8g