Mason jar salads are the perfect, portable solution for getting in your greens while on the go. You can make a few at a time, which saves you from having to mess up your kitchen and chop salad ingredients every day. This salad is packed with protein and fresh veggies, and comes together in just minutes thanks to Johnsonville Flame Grilled Chicken, which is ready to slice and serve! All you need to get started are a few quart-sized mason jars and the fixin’s below.
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) granulated sugar (optional)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) whole cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 small red onion, diced or sliced thin
- 1 cup (240 ml) thin cucumber slices
- 1 cup (240 ml) chopped bell pepper (about 1/2 large pepper)
- 9 ounces (255 grams) Johnsonville® Flame Grilled Garlic & Herb Chicken Breast, sliced on the bias into strips
- 4 1/2 cups (1080 ml) chopped Romaine lettuce
- 3 ounces (85 grams) reduced sodium feta cheese
- 9 kalamata olives
- 3 pepperoncini
Combine all dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until combined. Immediately divide the dressing among 3, quart-sized mason jars, spooning 2 tablespoons into each.
Divide salad ingredients among the three mason jars in the order listed to optimize freshness. To each jar, add 1/2 cup whole cherry tomatoes, 2 tablespoons diced red onion, 1/3 cup cucumber slices, 1/3 cup chopped bell pepper, 3 ounces chicken, 1 1/2 cups chopped romaine, 1 ounce feta cheese, 3 black olives and 1 pepperoncini.
Screw on the lids and store mason jars in the fridge until ready to enjoy! When ready to eat, simply pour ingredients into a bowl and serve.
Note: If you’re watching your sodium intake, substitute or remove the feta cheese, olives and pepperoncini.
Serves: 3 | Serving size: 1 large salad
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 309; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 11g; Cholesterol: 55mg; Sodium: 677mg; Carbohydrate: 11g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 27g