After a long day at work, dinner should be simple and stress-free. This southwestern chicken casserole from Kim’s Cravings is just that — and has you in and out of the kitchen in a flash! Guaranteed to hit the spot, this nutritious and tasty dinner will have your family asking for seconds while delivering 40 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber. This recipe is perfect for leftover chicken.
Easy Southwestern Chicken Casserole
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups (150g) cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) cooked brown rice (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 (15-ounces) can black beans, drained and rinsed (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 (10-ounces) can diced tomato and green chili blend, drained
- 3/4 cup (180ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (150g) reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Diced avocado
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C), and coat casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
Pour mixture into a casserole dish, and bake for about 25 minutes or until center is firm.
Let cool 5–10 minutes, and serve with desired garnishes.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 426; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 173mg; Sodium: 548mg; Carbohydrate: 37g; Dietary Fiber: 9g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 40g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 393mg; Iron: 21%; Vitamin A: 20%; Vitamin C: 1%; Calcium: 39%