Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
Move over ramen, there’s a healthier Japanese noodle on our radar. This Japanese-inspired noodle bowl is packed with protein thanks to rotisserie chicken, edamame and soba — nutty-tasting buckwheat noodles. The noodles are gluten-free, contain 6–8 grams of protein per 2-ounce serving and 3 grams of fiber, which helps slow the speed at which carbohydrates are digested, so you’ll eat less and feel full longer. Buy 100% buckwheat flour noodles for the healthiest result and best flavor.
Cold Chicken Soba Noodle Bowls With Ginger-Carrot Dressing
- 6 ounces (170g) buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 cup (156g) frozen shelled edamame
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried seaweed
- 2 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white miso (Maruman brand)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 pinch ground white or black pepper
- 2 cups (245g) pulled white meat rotisserie chicken, skin discarded (from 1 chicken)
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Cook noodles according to package instructions. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add the edamame and continue to cook until the noodles are al dente. Drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Place in a large bowl. Note: Soba can overcook and clump easily, so be sure to drain and rinse in cold water quickly for the best texture.
While noodles are cooking, pour the seaweed into a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup (59ml) cold water and let set for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a blender, combine 1 tablespoon water, 1/4 cup of the carrot, vinegar, miso, ginger, canola oil, sesame oil, maple syrup and pepper and blend until smooth. Toss half of the dressing (about 1/4 cup or 59ml) with the noodles and divide among 4 large bowls. Top with the seaweed, remaining carrots, chicken, cucumber and green onions. Drizzle remaining dressing over bowls and serve immediately.
Serves: 4 | Serving size: 1 bowl
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 381; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 63mg; Sodium: 660mg; Carbohydrate: 45g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 31g