These sweet potato muffins from Ambitious Kitchen are quick, easy to make and leave no mess. They’re moist, packed with nutrients and don’t have too much added sugar thanks to the sweet potatoes. Make a batch for breakfast and freeze some for later.
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) mashed sweet potato (from 2–3 large sweet potatoes)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) avocado oil, olive oil or melted coconut oil (butter also works)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or lite coconut milk)
- 1 1/2 (360 ml) cups whole-wheat pastry flour (or white whole-wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Poke holes in sweet potatoes with a fork and place them on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until fork tender. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove skin and mash. Measure 1 1/2 cups of sweet potato; do not use more than that.
Reduce oven heat to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners and coat the inside of them with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
In a separate large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potato, eggs, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, Greek yogurt and almond milk until smooth and creamy. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Divide batter evenly into muffin cups, top each with a few chocolate chips, and bake for 25–35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Cool muffins for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Muffins can be served warm and are even better the next day. I like mine with a little nut butter on top.
Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 1 muffin
Per serving: Calories: 193; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 32mg; Sodium: 151mg; Carbohydrate: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 15g; Protein: 5g