Active time: 15 minutes Total time: 20 minutes
In about 20 minutes, you can have a fresh, colorful, family-friendly meal. Whole-wheat pitas make fantastic pizza crusts; simply crisp them under the broiler before adding toppings. Here, store-bought hummus and spiced-up rotisserie chicken breast are the main toppings, along with a fresh finishing touch of cucumber-tomato salad.
Chicken Shawarma Pita Pizzas
- 4 whole-wheat pitas
- 1 1/2 cups (170g) skinless rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 cup (150g) tomato, diced
- 3/4 cup (150g) cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup (5g) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 10 tablespoons (150g) plain hummus
- 1 cup (113g) part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
Preheat broiler to high.
Arrange pitas on a large baking sheet. Broil 1–2 minutes on each side or until toasted and crisp. Remove from oven (keep broiler on).
In a medium bowl, toss chicken with cumin, garlic powder and turmeric. In another medium bowl, combine tomato, cucumber, parsley and lemon juice.
Spread 2 1/2 tablespoons hummus over each pita. Top each pita with about 1/3 cup chicken and 1/4 cup cheese. Broil until cheese melts and begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven. Top each pizza with about 1/3 cup cucumber mixture.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 pizza
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 409; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 18mg; Sodium: 574mg; Carbohydrate: 40g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 3g; Protein 25g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 160mg; Iron: 26%; Vitamin A: 11%; Vitamin C: 12%; Calcium: 32%