Active time: 35 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Chilled buckwheat soba noodles are traditionally served as cooling meal in the heat of summer in Japan. In this salad, the noodles are tossed with plenty of veggies, grilled chicken and a gingery dressing. Be sure to buy noodles with a high percentage of whole-grain buckwheat flour for the most beneficial fiber.
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) honey
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) toasted sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons (15ml) ginger, finely grated
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) canola oil
- 3 cups (3 ounces/85g) shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (8 ounces/227g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups (8 ounces/227g) broccoli crowns, cut into 2-inch florets
- 1/2 cup (75g) shelled edamame
- 6 ounces (179g) dry buckwheat soba noodles (such as Eden Organic)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Set aside.
Heat the canola oil in a cast-iron skillet or heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender, 4 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper before adding it to the skillet, reduce heat to medium, and cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Place on a cutting board and let rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
While the chicken rests, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and edamame and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to the serving bowl with the mushrooms. Add the soba noodles to the boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the noodles from overcooking. Add to the noodles to the vegetables in the bowl. Toss with the soy sauce dressing.
Thinly slice the chicken against the grain and place on top of the noodle mixture. Sprinkle green onions over the top and serve. (The salad can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.)
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 2 cups noodle mixture plus 4 ounces chicken
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 247; Total Fat: 9.1g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 69mg; Sodium: 644mg; Carbohydrate: 18g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 2.5g; Protein: 38g