This stir-fry is not your average take-out: A generous amount of basil, fresh ginger and the sharp heat of Fresno pepper make it bright and fragrant. If you do not have a 12-inch skillet or wok, then sear your chicken thighs in two batches. Crowding the pan prevents the chicken from browning. This stir-fry comes together quickly, so stay close to your stove. Luckily, chicken thighs are quite forgiving, but you want your broccoli to be vibrant green and crisp-tender.
Active time: 30 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pound (454g) boneless skinless chicken thighs, excess fat trimmed and meat cut into 1-inch (2.5cm) pieces
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into small florets and stalk peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 inches (5cm) peeled and julienned fresh ginger
- 1/2 Fresno pepper, thinly sliced (seeds discarded if sensitive to heat)
- 1 cup (12g) lightly packed basil leaves
Optional for serving
- Torn basil leaves
- Steamed brown rice
- Lime wedges
In a medium bowl, whisk the low-sodium soy sauce with the oyster sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, sesame oil, cornstarch and 1/4 cup (60ml) water. Set aside.
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt. In a 12-inch skillet or wok, heat the grapeseed oil until shimmering. Add the chicken and cook over high heat, stirring once, until browned, 2–4 minutes.
Add the broccoli, shallot, ginger and Fresno pepper. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the broccoli is crisp-tender, 3–5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and cook, stirring, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and fold in the basil.
Divide between four shallow bowls and garnish with torn basil leaves. Serve immediately with steamed brown rice and lime wedges.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 321; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 95mg; Sodium: 628mg; Carbohydrate: 32g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugar: 11g; Protein 31g