The next time you’re headed out the door and need a fast, healthy breakfast to go with you, leave that packaged energy bar in the pantry and nab one of these breakfast cookies. These chewy, dense, super-powered cookies are pumped full of health-boosting goodies to kick off a busy day or fuel a long bike ride.
Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup (64g) whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup (55g) crystalized ginger
- 1/2 cup (59g) pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup (56g) whole flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup (30g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (125g) plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup (112ml) coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (85g) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup (75g) shredded coconut
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg. Then add the remaining wet ingredients, the carrot, flax and pumpkin seeds and the coconut. Mix well to combine, then add the dry ingredients and mix completely. Allow to stand 1–2 minutes to thicken.
Use a small ice cream scooper or large spoon to portion the cookie dough out onto the prepared sheet pan, spacing 2 inches apart and pressing slightly to flatten.
Bake until the tops of the cookies spring back when touched — roughly 17 minutes.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Serves: 16 | Serving Size: 1 cookie
Nutrients (per serving): Calories: 265; Total Fat: 23g; Saturated Fat: 16g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 13mg; Sodium: 114mg; Carbohydrate: 14g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Protein: 7g