A quinoa shell replaces the traditional flour-and-butter crust in this recipe from Clean Eating Magazine. Vegetables like kale, broccoli and leek raise the nutrition quotient, with shredded cheddar and dijon mustard adding tang to this 250-calorie quiche — perfect for weekend brunch.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (270 ml) low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) white quinoa, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 large eggs + 4 large egg whites, divided
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (240 ml) broccoli florets, cut in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup (240 ml) packed Tuscan or lacinato kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) whole milk
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch pie dish or quiche pan with cooking spray; set aside. (Note: Opt for a dish with a depth of about 1 1/2-inches.)
In a small saucepan, combine broth, quinoa and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; cool.
Whisk 1 egg; stir into cooled quinoa. Mix in 1/4 cup (60 ml) of cheese. Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie dish. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet until crust is dry to the touch, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil on medium-low. Add leek and sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add broccoli, kale and 1/4 cup water; cover and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and scrape into crust.
In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour into crust and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) cheese. Bake on rimmed baking sheet until top is golden and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool completely. Cool completely and enjoy. To save for later, cut into six wedges, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 3–4 days. To serve, unwrap, transfer a slice to oven or toaster oven and heat at 350 °F until warm. Quiche can also be enjoyed cold.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1/6 of quiche
Per serving: Calories: 245; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 3.5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 104mg; Sodium: 381mg; Carbohydrate: 24g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 13g