Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Packed with broccoli, whole-grain bread and eggs, this easy breakfast casserole keeps you fueled for whatever the weekend has in store. Leftovers reheat well in the microwave, so they make a great quick breakfast during the week, too.
- 8 ounces (226 grams) whole-grain crusty bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, halved and thinly sliced
- 10 ounces (283 ml) broccoli crowns, cut into 1 1/2-inch florets (5 cups)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon (3.75 ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
Preheat oven to 325°F. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and bake while the oven is preheating for 10 minutes. Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the bread in an even layer in the baking dish and set aside.
In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and saute until tender, 3 minutes. Add the broccoli and 1/4 cup water, cover and simmer until broccoli is just crisp-tender, 4 minutes. Arrange the broccoli mixture over the bread in the baking dish.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and nutmeg. Pour over the bread and broccoli mixture. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until a knife inserted into the center of the strata comes out clean, 45 minutes to an hour.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 294; Total Fat: 13.5g; Saturated Fat: 4.9g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5.2g; Cholesterol: 227mg; Sodium: 619mg; Carbohydrate: 25.7g; Dietary Fiber: 4.2g; Sugar: 7.4g; Protein: 19g