For those in the U.S., Labor Day is right around the corner, which means there’s still time for one more cookout before summer comes to an end. Backyard barbecues, picnics, and cookouts don’t have to derail your healthy eating goals. Here are a few healthy recipes to inspire your next party menu.
1. Easy Baked Turkey Meatballs | Uproot from Oregon: These Easy Baked Turkey Meatballs from are healthier than the traditional version! Turkey is one of the most protein-rich meats and it’s also low in saturated fat—a great combination if you ask us.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 117; Total Fat: 2g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 78mg; Sodium: 387mg; Total Carbohydrate: 5g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars: 1g; Protein 20g
Nutritional Bonus: Potassium: 33mg; Vitamin A: 12%; Vitamin C: 1%; Calcium: 3%; Iron: 7%
2. Summertime Caprese Salad | Eating Bird Food: Please the crowd with an easy salad. Tomatoes deliver lots of nutrients and inflammation-reducing antioxidants, including lycopene and folic acid.
Nutrition (per serving): CCalories: 129; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Sodium: 145mg; Total Carbohydrate: 3g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 2g; Protein: 5g
Nutritional Bonus: Potassium: 84mg; Vitamin A: 20%; Vitamin C: 45%; Calcium: 18%; Iron: 4%
3. Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayo | Skinnytaste: Make and freeze these amazing burgers ahead of time, then just pop on the BBQ frozen when the crowd is ready to chow down. Packed with fiber, protein and iron, black beans are not only nutritious, they’re budget-friendly too!
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 347; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 49mg; Sodium: 546mg; Total Carbohydrate: 48g; Dietary Fiber: 17g; Sugars: 6g; Protein: 18g
Nutritional Bonus: Potassium: 549mg; Vitamin A: 8%; Vitamin C: 17%; Calcium 14%; Iron: 29%
4. Beet Burgers with Garlic Sriracha Aioli | Dietitian Debbie Dishes: Not a grill aficionado? This recipe is for you. Beets are an excellent source of folate, rich in fiber, potassium and Vitamin C, and a good source of iron.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 282; Total Fat: 23g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 40mg; Sodium: 252mg; Total Carbohydrate: 17g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugars: 8g; Protein 6g
Nutritional Bonus: Potassium 428mg; Iron: 10%; Vitamin A: 67%; Vitamin C: 9%; Calcium 4%
5. Grilled Steak Sandwiches | Skinnytaste: Throw some sirloin on the grill, chop up a little lettuce and tomato, and you’re set. Best part: this sandwich is only 350 calories!
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 350; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 2.5g; Cholesterol: 64mg; Sodium: 571mg; Carbohydrate: 35g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 5g; Protein 28g
6. Thai Beef Kabobs and Vegetables | Eat Up Slim Down ’09: These kabobs are flavored with a delicious, sweet-and-sour marinade. Enjoy the kabobs alongside the simple Garden Vegetable Sauté.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 256; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 61mg; Sodium: 248mg; Total Carbohydrates: 14g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 6g; Protein: 27g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 689mg; Vitamin A: 18%; Vitamin C: 33%; Calcium: 5%; Iron: 17%
7. Grilled Chicken with Tomato Avocado Salad | Cooking Light: This 450-calorie dinner is full of flavor, and 39g of protein! Chicken is a high-quality protein that is naturally low in sodium, and avocado delivers twice as much potassium as a banana.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 448; Total Fat: 24g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 14g; Cholesterol: 98mg; Sodium: 618mg; Total Carbohydrate: 21g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugars: 8g; Protein: 39g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 1242mg; Vitamin A: 27%; Vitamin C: 62%; Calcium 7%; Iron: 13%
8. Maple Glazed Grilled Salmon | Eat Spin Run Repeat: Throw some fish over the flames! This salmon dinner is easy to put together, and cooks up in just 10 minutes.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 305; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 88mg; Sodium: 288mg; Total Carbohydrate: 18g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars 16g; Protein: 30g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 594mg; Vitamin A: 5%; Vitamin C: 0%; Calcium: 2%; Iron: 5%
9. Grilled Fish Tacos & Honey Dijon Cabbage Slaw | Eating Bird Food: Set up an assembly line and let guests put together their own tacos. Known for its anti-inflammatory and protective properties, we say bring on the cabbage slaw!
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 435; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 70mg; Sodium: 587mg; Total Carbohydrate: 32g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugars: 5g; Protein: 49g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 1330mg; Vitamin A: 19%; Vitamin C: 51%; Calcium: 17%; Iron: 17%