“Oh chicken breast, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways… ”
Despite being packed with protein (which helps our bodies build and repair tissue and keeps us feeling full longer) and versatile in the kitchen, chicken breasts often get knocked for being boring, tasteless, or just plain not good. But we guarantee that these 60 delicious recipes from around the web will breathe new life into the not-so-hallowed bird.
These chicken breasts recipes use common household ingredients and healthy cooking methods like baking and grilling to add new zest to chicken breasts. Forget what you thought about the meat. These recipes will have you looking at (chicken!) breasts in a whole new way.
1. Chicken with Tomato Herb Pan Sauce Crushing tomatoes as part of dinner prep? Oh yeah. Fresh herbs give chicken breasts extra zing, while savory cherry tomatoes are heated until they burst, finished off with a dash of wine, and then poured over the chicken. In short, this sauce makes “plain” chicken so very not plain.
2. Chicken with Dijon Mustard Sauce Mustard: not just a sandwich condiment. Dijon mustard complements poultry perfectly, and this dish is no exception. Combine it with fresh thyme, salt, pepper, some white wine, and garlic, and you’ve got yourself a main course that’s perfect to serve with roasted potatoes, over pasta, or on salad greens.
3. Chicken Breasts with Lime Sauce Pair this chicken breast with a healthier margarita, because this lime sauce is out of this world. Cut down on prep time by purchasing thin-sliced breasts at the store.
4. Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Sage Sauce For a recipe that uses only easy-to-get-your-hands-on ingredients (such as mushrooms, cream, and shallots), this sauce is lip-smackin’ good. Sauté the veggies in a pan with your oil of choice and white wine (save the rest of the bottle!), while browning the chicken breasts separately. Add some fresh herbs to the sauce, pour it over the breasts—and voila! Your restaurant-worthy dish is ready.
5. Seared Chicken with Lemon Herb Pan Sauce No washing piles of dishes here! This chicken comes together all in one pan. Seared chicken, fresh herbs, and zesty lemon pull this meal together in just 20 minutes. Have some bread handy to dip in the extra sauce!
6. Brown Sugar Spiced Baked Chicken A quick, sweet, and savory dinner doesn’t get easier than this. Preheat the oven while you coat chicken in a blend of sugar, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, and superfood garlic. Bake for 20 minutes, and enjoy.
7. Cayenne-Rubbed Chicken with Avocado Salsa When you want to make something easy, this fits the bill. This cayenne-spiced chicken gets topped with a fresh, tasty salsa and stars avocado, which comes with its own benefits—it can improve cholesterol levels and is loaded with vitamins E (yay, antioxidants!) and B6 to help keep your skin looking good. Not too shabby for a dinner!
8. Chicken Breasts with Spicy Rub If you like heat, this chicken is for you. Up the spice quotient by using more rub. Not ready to fire up the grill? Feel free to bake or sauté in a pan—you’ll still get all the zesty flavor.
9. Cocoa and Curry Rubbed Chicken Breasts Hershey’s for dinner? Believe it or not, using cocoa powder intensifies the taste of the cumin and curry powder in this simple rub, without leaving behind a chocolate-y taste (We’ll leave it up to you to decide whether or not that’s a good thing.).
10. Spice-Rubbed Grilled Chicken with Everything Sauce A simple rub that can be used on chicken breast—or other meats—ups the ante with an accompanying sauce made with superfood Greek yogurt, honey, and Dijon mustard. Don’t let the long list of ingredients intimidate you, because this meal comes together super easily.
…And there’s more! Click over to Greatist for the full list of 60 Awesome Ways to Spice Up Chicken Breasts!