Even the most loyal ice cream lover may find themself craving a sweet and tangy Pina Colada Popsicle or a rich spoonful of Espresso Granita with Whipped Cream after trying these frozen dessert recipes. The perfect balance of indulgent and refreshing, they become the star of any summer day — and did we mention they’re all under 200 calories? These five recipes are full of summer fun but 100% guilt-free.
1. HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY FROZEN YOGURT | HEALTHY NIBBLES AND BITS
- 2 cups (280g) frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup (76g) 0% Greek yogurt (or any plain yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or any sweetener)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender, and mix until smooth. If you want the frozen yogurt to taste more like sorbet, add a tiny bit more lemon juice.
Serve immediately, with your favorite toppings.
Serves: 2 | Serving Size: 1 cup
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 147; Total Fat: 0g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Sodium: 22mg; Carbohydrate: 34g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 26g; Protein: 5g
2. PINA COLADA POPSICLES WITH CHOCOLATE-COCONUT SHELLS | MYFITNESSPAL’S RECIPES
- 1 13.5-ounce (400mL) can coconut milk
- 1 cup (170g) fresh, ripe pineapple chunks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (85g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (15g) unsweetened coconut flakes, lightly toasted
In a blender, combine the coconut milk, pineapple and vanilla and process until smooth. Pour into 6 popsicle molds and freeze until set, 8 hours.
In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and coconut oil. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate has melted, about 2 minutes total. Place the coconut flakes in a bowl.
Line a plate with parchment paper and set aside. Unmold one popsicle, spoon the chocolate mixture over the top 1/4 of the pop and immediately sprinkle the chocolate with 1 tablespoon of the coconut. Place the popsicle on the prepared plate and freeze. Repeat with the remaining popsicles, chocolate and coconut. Serve immediately or wrap in plastic and store in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1 popsicle
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 93; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 6mg; Carbohydrate: 9g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 3g
3. SWEET CHERRY AND COCONUT SEMIFREDDO WITH PISTACHIOS | MYFITNESSPAL’S RECIPES
- 1/2 cup (75g) shelled pistachios, roasted and unsalted
- 1 cup (150g) sweet cherries, pitted and chopped coarsely, plus extra to serve
- 2 5 1/2-ounce (160g) cans coconut cream, chilled overnight
- 3 tablespoons honey, maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1–2 drops rose extract, optional
Line an 8-by-4 loaf pan or (or smaller) freezer-proof container with waxed paper.
Coarsely mash the cherries with a fork. Shell the nuts, then coarsely chop. Scrape the thick layer of coconut cream into a bowl.
Discard 1 tablespoon coconut water from each can, then add the remaining water to the bowl. Beat until thickened and soft peaks form. Beat in the honey (or maple syrup or agave nectar) and add 1 or 2 drops of rose extract, if desired.
Gently stir in the pistachios and cherries and spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Level the surface, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight until firm.
If frozen overnight, transfer the semifreddo to the refrigerator 1 hour before serving. Invert onto a plate or board and peel away the plastic wrap. Cut into slices and serve scattered with extra cherries. Recipe makes 6 servings at 3/4 cups each.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 184; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 9mg; Carbohydrate: 13g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 2g
4. BANANA BERRY “NICE” CREAM | MYFITNESSPAL’S RECIPES
- 4 ripe bananas, chopped and frozen
- 4 cups (960mL) frozen berries
- 1/2 cup (120mL) almond milk, frozen into ice cubes
Add all ingredients to a food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Enjoy immediately.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 cup
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 89; Total Fat: 0g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 30mg; Carbohydrate: 21g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 13g; Protein: 1g
5. ESPRESSO GRANITA WITH WHIPPED COCONUT CREAM | MYFITNESSPAL’S RECIPES
- 2 cups (475mL) hot espresso or very strong coffee
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon (213g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120mL) chilled coconut cream or whipped cream
- Bittersweet chocolate shavings
Stir espresso or coffee, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until sugar dissolves.
Pour into a 9-by-9 metal baking pan. Freeze for 1 hour. Stir, mashing any frozen parts with the back of a fork. Cover; freeze until firm, about 2 hours. Using a fork, scrape granita vigorously to form icy flakes.
Beat cream and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a large bowl until peaks form. Divide granita among bowls or glasses. Top with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate shavings.
The granita can be made three days ahead. Cover tightly with foil; keep frozen. Give it a quick scrape before serving.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 112; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 18mg; Carbohydrate: 18g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugar: 18g; Protein: 0g