The veggies in this composed salad provide a rainbow of antioxidants. They are arranged atop nutty black rice (sometimes called “forbidden rice”), which contains as many antioxidants as blueberries and is fiber-rich, so you’ll be satiated longer. It’s worth noting that all the sugar comes naturally from the berries, carrots and tomatoes.
Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 50 minutes
Eat the Rainbow Salad With Lemon Tahini Dressing
For the salad
- 3/4 cup (144g) forbidden (black) rice
- 2 medium (227g) tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 large carrot, shaved into long strips with a peeler
- 1 cup (150g) canned, low-sodium garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 large yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (30g) baby arugula or baby greens
- 1 cup (170g) fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) shredded red cabbage
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 medium garlic clove (inner green sprout discarded, if present), finely chopped and smashed with the side of a chef’s knife
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cook the rice according to package directions and refrigerate until room temperature, 10 minutes. Spread the rice evenly on 4 dinner plates. Arrange the tomatoes, carrots (arranged in curlicues on their thin ends), garbanzo beans, bell pepper, greens, blueberries and cabbage in neat rows over the rice.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, tahini, water, turmeric, garlic and salt until smooth. Drizzle the dressing over the salads and serve.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: Scant 1/2 cup rice, 1/4 of each vegetable, 2 tablespoons dressing
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 233; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 388mg; Carbohydrate: 33g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 6g
Originally published May 2018, updated June 2022
Ready to take the next step? Unlock MyFitnessPal Premium to access custom goal settings, quick-log recipes, and guided plans from a registered dietitian. Premium users are 65% more likely to reach their weight loss goals!