Here at MyFitnessPal, we’re all about ushering in the New Year with new flavor combinations and healthy recipe ideas. To kick off 2014, here are 14 favorites to try this year. We’ve even added them our Food Database for easy logging.
1. Huevos Rancheros | CookingLight: Spiced up with a little bit of salsa, these eggs make a tasty, protein-packed breakfast that will keep you fueled all morning long.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 222; Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 219mg; Sodium: Carbohydrate: 27g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 12g
2. Creamy Coconut Steel Cut Oats | Fit Foodie Finds: Slow cooker oats were practically invented for those who can never make time for breakfast in the morning. Set it to low before going to bed and you’ll have a piping hot bowl of creamy oats waiting for you when you wake up.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 285; Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 0g; Sodium: 11mg; Carbohydrate: 34g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 8g
3. Quinoa Breakfast Bars | The Lean Green Bean: Quinoa is a hot ancient grain that’s packed with protein, fiber and B vitamins. These breakfast bars are great to make ahead and grab on your way out the door in the morning, or for a healthy mid-afternoon snack.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories 398; Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 27mg; Sodium: 194mg; Carbohydrate: 52g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 12g
4. Eggplant Crostini | CookingLight: These delicious little crostini make for a flavorful, veggie-filled appetizer that will curb those pre-dinner hunger pangs. You could even make a quick weeknight meal out of them!
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 175; Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 4mg; Sodium: 330mg; Carbohydrate: 18g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 6g
5. Winter Salad with Roasted Beet & Citrus Reduction Dressing | CookingLight: Warm up your tastebuds with this winter salad made with sweet roasted beets, tangy goat cheese and a fresh orange juice reduction dressing.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 127; Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 6mg; Sodium: 253mg; Carbohydrate: 8g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 3g
6. Smoky Sweet Potato Dip | Healthy Aperture: This vitamin-packed, sweet & spicy dip tastes great and, with just 5 ingredients, can’t be much easier to make. Serve it with corn tortilla chips and fresh veggies for a healthy party platter.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 127; Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 13mg; Sodium: 171mg; Carbohydrate: 17g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 5g
7. Baked Zucchini Fries | Illustrated Nutrition: Perfectly crisp on the outside, and veggie-tastic on the inside, these zucchini fries are the perfect healthy side for a burger or panini, and they make a popular dinner party appetizer.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 141; Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 90mg; Sodium: 230mg; Carbohydrate: 14g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 10g
8. Quinoa Taco Salad | Love & Zest: Fresh mango, black beans, quinoa and crunchy tortilla chips makes this tropical, taco salad the perfect way to get in your greens and whole grains at lunchtime.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 428; Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 270mg; Carbohydrate: 60g; Fiber: 19g; Protein: 14g
9. Kale & Apple Butternut Salad | Love & Lemons: Butternut squash ribbons, sliced apple and massaged kale make for a beautiful and nutrient-packed meal.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 372; Fat: 26g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 110mg; Carbohydrate: 34g; Fiber: 7g; Protein: 7g
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 142; Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 767mg; Carbohydrate: 20g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 7g
11. Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili | Cookie + Kate: Packed with blackbeans, butternut squash and topped with avocado and crispy tortilla strips, you won’t be missing the meat in this chili. Note: nutrition info below does not include diced avocado or tortilla strips.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 432; Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0g; Sodium: 713mg; Carbohydrate: 72g; Fiber: 25g; Protein: 21g
12. Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Sauteed Apples | Cooking Light: This one-dish pork tenderloin entree is perfect for winter. Sweet spices coat the lean pork tenderloin, while apples get a savory treatment with shallots and thyme.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 234, Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 89mg; Sodium: 394mg; Carbohydrate: 12g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 24g
13. Shrimp Vodka Pasta | Cooking Light: This simple vodka-marinara sauce is tossed with refrigerated fettuccine and sauteed shrimp for a quick and filling one-dish entree.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 427; Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 184mg; Sodium: 632mg; Carbohydrate: 60g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 25g
14. Blueberry Peach Cobbler | Cooking Light: You didn’t think we’d forget about dessert, did you? This Blueberry Peach Cobbler is a favorite among CookingLight cooks.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Calories: 300, Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 58mg; Sodium: 189mg; Carbohydrate: 52g; Fiber: 4g
To record a serving (or two) of any of the recipes above, simply search the recipe name & the source (i.e. Huevos Ranceros Cooking Light) and press Add to Diary. It’s that easy!
Here’s to a delicious and healthy start to 2014!
Photos by: Randy Mayor (1 & 5), Lee Hersh (2); Lindsay Livingston (3) John Autry (4, 12, 14); Regan Jones (6); Kathryn Landel (7); Kristina LaRue (8); Jeanine Donofrio (9); McKel Hill (10); Kathryn Taylor (11); Jose Picayo (13)