Boosting our immune system, managing stress, getting enough sleep — these self-care strategies and more helped us get through this nutty year. So, it’s no surprise our most popular stories reflect this.
Here, our 10 most-read wellness stories of 2020, plus a bonus editor’s pick — taking it to 11. Cheers to a fit and happy 2021!
1. IS SLEEPING NAKED BETTER FOR YOUR HEALTH?
Sleeping naked has several benefits, but it doesn’t mean everybody needs to do it. Lots of it has to do with temperature control.
2. INFLAMMATION BASICS AND THE ROLE OF DIET AND EXERCISE
There’s good inflammation and bad inflammation, and what you eat and how you move makes a difference.
3. COULD INTERMITTENT FASTING HELP YOU LIVE LONGER?
Whittling your waist and extending your longevity are two potential benefits to intermittent fasting.
4. HOW LONG BEFORE BED SHOULD YOU STOP EATING?
The midnight snack is the thing of legend, but it’s best to avoid eating right before bed. Knowing what to eat and how long you should stop eating before bed can help you sleep better.
5. 10 SMALL WAYS TO BE KIND TO YOURSELF RIGHT NOW
Self-compassion is the cornerstone of self-care. Gratitude, breathwork and getting out in nature are a few small ways to be kind to yourself.
6. 5 BEDTIME HABITS TO HELP YOU SLEEP BETTER
We all know to avoid blue light and keep electronics out of the room, but knowing these four other sleep-hygiene habits helps you sleep better.
7. STUDIES SHOW: YOUR MINDSET AFFECTS THE NUMBER ON THE SCALE
Positive habits such as celebrating small successes, focusing on positive self-talk and practicing mindfulness could help you lose more weight.
8. DOES CAFFEINE INCREASE STRESS AND THE RISK OF BELLY FAT?
Nobody wants more belly fat, since it’s the most dangerous fat. Caffeine can play a role in your stress response and weight management.
9. YES, YOUR ALARM COULD BE RUINING YOUR DAY
Try a more soothing alarm tone (cue the clock radio) and whatever you do: Do. Not. Snooze.
10. HOW MUCH OF AGING IS IN OUR CONTROL?
Regular exercise, a good diet, limiting alcohol intake and not smoking are some of the best ways to manage biological aging.
THE MANY HEALTH BENEFITS OF SUNSHINE AND VITAMIN D
Getting enough sleep, moving, eating right and getting some sunshine is a recipe for a good life. Simple but not easy.
Check out “Workout Routines” in the MyFitnessPal app to discover and log workouts or build your own with exercises that fit your goals.