Setting yourself up for successful weight loss goes beyond eating well and moving your body — it’s about creating healthy habits for life. This year, we learned how to keep our metabolism healthy, set up smart nighttime routines and more.
Here, our top 10 weight-loss stories of 2019, plus a bonus editor’s pick.
1. 8 Bad Habits That Kill Your Metabolism
You may know metabolism slows as you age, but you’ll likely be surprised by these non-age-related culprits.
2. 5 Things to Do Every Night to Fuel Weight Loss
Sleeping is a good one. But aside from that, find out how nightly journaling and having a hydration plan can streamline your mornings.
3. How Water Weight Affects Weight Loss
It’s normal for your weight to fluctuate daily, but certain things like sodium and alcohol can play a role in how bloated you feel.
4. 5 Snacking Mistakes to Avoid if You’re Trying to Lose Weight
Hint: Skipping them altogether is mistake number 1. Opt for a snack with at least 15 grams of protein, which doesn’t have to be pricey.
5. 10 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight, According to RDs
If you’re hitting a weight-loss plateau, don’t worry, read this story about how to deal with common roadblocks.
6. 7 Habits That Can Help You Lose Weight
Building a healthy lifestyle requires stacking healthy habits. A RD makes the case for prioritizing protein at breakfast and incorporating high-intensity interval training (HIIT) into your routine.
7. How You Weigh Yourself Matters
From the type of scale you use to how often you should weigh yourself, here’s what you need to know to weigh yourself the right way.
8. 8 Healthy Foods That Could Slow Weight Loss
These foods provide important nutrients, but tend to be calorie-dense, which is why portion size is key.
9. Ask the RD: Is Intermittent Fasting Good or Bad?
Intermittent fasting, or eating within a specific time frame, continues to be a popular trend for weight loss; here’s what you need to know.
10. Is Cutting Carbs the Key to Losing Weight
Not all carbs are created equal, so be wary of which ones you cut from your diet.
11. Why Consistency Beats Perfection For Weight Loss
It’s always good to be reminded we don’t have to be perfect to achieve our goals. Changing one habit at a time and allowing room for indulgences is more sustainable (and enjoyable).
READ OUR MOST POPULAR STORIES OF THE YEAR
> Meal Prep