Walking is one of the best, simplest exercises you can do to boost your mental health as well as physical. Whether you’re walking for weight loss or another goal (like improving sleep or lowering cholesterol), these must-read stories and bonus editor’s pick will help you get started.
1. How Much Do You Really Need to Walk to Lose Weight?
One hour of walking 4–5 days per week will help you lose weight, but find out why quality is better than quantity.
3. How You Can Walk Off Belly Fat
Visceral fat (aka belly fat) is dangerous due to its proximity to your organs and its effect on hormones, among other things. Walking can help reduce this dangerous fat.
4. Why Walking 10,000 Steps a Day Is Arbitrary
The gold standard has been to 10,000 steps a day. But do we know why? Turns out 10,000 steps isn’t necessarily the holy grail. Experts share a smarter approach.
6. 6 Walking Pains You Should Never Ignore
Sometimes you shouldn’t just push through pain, especially if you’re noticing swelling or sharp pain.
7. 5 Walking Mistakes to Avoid if You Want to Lose Weight
Mistake number 1: Never varying intensity. Here’s how to get more out of your walking workouts.
8. Counteract Too Much Sitting With This 5-Minute Trick
Even people who work out can be considered sedentary. It just takes five minutes to change that.
11. Quiz: What’s Your Walking Style?
Go for a walk on the beach or try taking the stairs at the office — see how many boxes you can check off to become a power walker.
READ OUR MOST POPULAR STORIES OF THE YEAR