When hunger hits between meals, it’s easy to gravitate towards those pre-portioned packs of pretzels, cookies, and crackers. Yes, they’re convenient, but they’re also loaded with refined carbs, which means they’re relatively nutrient-poor and won’t have much staying power. Snacks with a balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, such as a cup of low-fat milk and a small apple, will leaving you feeling more satisfied and provide more vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Switch up your snack routine and try some of these R.D.-approved options—all 200 calories or less!
1. Hard boiled egg, diced + 2 tablespoons hummus + Slice of whole grain toast* | 198 calories
2. Small banana + 16 almonds | 200 calories
3. 1/4 cup mashed avocado + whole grain toast* + a pinch of sea salt | 192 calories
4. 1/2 medium apple + 1 tablespoon peanut butter + 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts | 191 calories
5. 3/4 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt + 1 cup fresh blackberries | 191 calories
6. 3/4 cup of homemade trail mix (Combine 1/4 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips + 1/4 cup dried tart cherries + 1/2 cup almonds + 2 cups air popped popcorn + pinch of sea salt) | 154 calories
7. 1/4 cup of Avocado Tuna Salad + whole grain toast* | 173 calories
8. 2 tablespoons of hummus + 1/2 of a 6.5-inch whole wheat pita + 1/2 of a medium carrot, sliced | 144 calories
9. 3 slices of cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto (each slice 1/8 of large melon; 1.5 ounces prosciutto total) | 192 calories
10. 3/4 cup cottage cheese + 1 medium peach, diced + 2 teaspoons chives | 191 calories
*Approximately 100 calories per slice
What’s your go-to, low-calorie snack? Share in the comments!