You’ll probably never guess the secret ingredient in this tasty quinoa chili from The Healthy Maven, so we’ll tell you: dark chocolate. One little square deepens the flavor without breaking the calorie bank. Plus, with the quinoa providing all nine essential amino acids and each serving containing more than half your fiber quota for the day, this chili keeps you full for hours.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers (any color), seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-ounce cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can green chilies, 4.5 oz
- 2 cups of water or stock
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1–2 teaspoons sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 1-ounce square of dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
In a large stockpot add onion and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook on medium for 3–5 mins or until translucent. Add bell peppers and cook for 2 mins. Add quinoa, tomatoes, beans, green chilies, water and spices.
Bring pot to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove the lid, stir and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until chili has thickened and quinoa has absorbed all the liquid.
Add the dark chocolate and maple syrup, stirring until melted and combined.
Serve warm with avocado, cheese, sour cream or toppings of your choice.
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 1 cup
Per serving: Calories: 330; Total Fat: 3g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 220mg; Carbohydrate: 61g; Dietary Fiber: 19g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 18g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 1261mg; Iron: 43%; Vitamin A: 30%; Vitamin C: 31%; Calcium: 19%