Active time: 10 minutes. Total time: 40 minutes.
Sweetened with honey, this easy homemade granola is a chocolate-lover’s dream. Serve with plain Greek yogurt and fresh raspberries.
- 3 cups (720 ml) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup (240 ml) puffed brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsweetened Dutch cocoa, sifted
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) instant espresso or coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) canola oil
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) honey
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 egg white, beaten until frothy
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, rice cereal, almonds, cocoa, hemp seeds, espresso and salt.
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, honey and vanilla, until smooth. Pour over the oat mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until the dry ingredients are coated. Add the egg white and stir to combine.
Pour the oat mixture onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Bake, stirring once, until the oats and nuts are just beginning to brown, about 30 minutes.
Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 283; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 1.2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3.2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 104mg; Carbohydrate: 26.4g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 8.4g; Protein: 7.9g
Ivy is a cookbook author and food writer living in Portland, Oregon. Her latest book is Easy Soups from Scratch with Quick Breads to Match: 70 Recipes to Pair and Share.” Visit her at ivymanning.com.