This creamy soup gets its smoky heat from chipotle chilies, but if you need to cool it down, light Greek yogurt does the trick. The sweet butternut squash in this easy, 8-ingredient soup from Clean Eating is quite tasty year-round.
- 1–3 dried chipotle chilies
- 1 4-pound (1,814 grams) butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) organic unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure maple syrup
- 2 small carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cups (1,140 ml) low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 (7 1/2 ml) teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
- Optional garnishes: toasted, unsalted pumpkin seeds, cilantro, Greek yogurt
In a small bowl, soak chilies in warm water for 2–6 hours; drain.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. In a roasting pan, place squash halves cut side up. Divide butter and maple syrup evenly between the squash cavities. Arrange the carrots and onion around the squash and pour 1 cup broth into the pan. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 2 hours. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
Scoop squash flesh from the skins and transfer to a stockpot. Add carrots, onions, cooking liquid from pan, drained chilies, remaining 5 cups broth and salt. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cooking uncovered for 10 minutes.
With an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. Add up to 1 cup additional broth if you prefer a thinner soup. Add additional salt as needed. Serve with optional garnishes (if using).
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 199; Total Fat: 3g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 202mg; Carbohydrate: 44g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 4g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 1254mg; Iron: 13%; Vitamin A: 715%; Vitamin C: 111%; Calcium: 15%
Clean Eating is not a diet; it’s a lifestyle approach to food. Our magazine features delicious, healthy recipes and weight-loss meal plans that highlight real foods and natural ingredients. Lose weight with the Clean Eating Academy, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for daily inspiration.